Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou gets bail after 10 days in jail

Meng Wanzhou, chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies, and the daughter of its founder, has received C$10 million or $7.5 million bail by a Canadian court on Tuesday.
Huawei CFO Meng WanzhouUnited States claims that Meng Wanzhou, 46, misled multinational banks about Iran-linked transactions, putting the banks at risk of violating U.S. sanctions.

U.S. President Donald Trump said he would intervene in the Justice Department’s case against Meng if it would serve national security interests or help close a trade deal with China, Reuters reported.

Meng Wanzhou, who has been jailed since her arrest on December 1 in Canada, will be subject to monitoring, a curfew and other conditions.

Huawei, which makes smartphones and network equipment, said in a statement it looked forward to a “timely resolution” of the case.

Huawei is the world’s largest supplier of telecommunications network equipment and second-biggest maker of smartphones, with revenue of about $92 billion last year.

China had threatened severe consequences unless Canada released Meng Wanzhou immediately.

The U.S. State Department is considering issuing a travel warning for its citizens. The Canadian government confirmed that one of its citizens in China had been detained.

Meng Wanzhou was detained as part of a U.S. investigation on Dec. 1 as she was changing planes in Vancouver. She has said she is innocent and will contest the allegations in the United States if she is extradited.

Tuesday was the third day of bail hearings. Meng’s defense had cited her longstanding ties to Canada, properties she owns in Vancouver and fears for her health while incarcerated.

Her family assured the court she would remain in Vancouver at one of her family houses if she was granted bail, according to court documents. Her husband said he plans to bring the couple’s daughter to Vancouver to attend school.

She must remain in Canada, include five guarantors on her bail and be subject to electronic monitoring and security when she leaves her residence. She was ordered to reappear in court on Feb. 6 to make plans for further appearances.