Over 100 operators deploy ADTRAN Combo PON technology

ADTRAN announced its Combo PON technology has been adopted by more than 100 operators since its launch in June 2020.
This technology makes it easier for any type of service provider to upgrade to 10G services because it supports GPON base subscribers while blanketing the entire FTTH network with higher speed 10G XGS-PON.

Three customer use case stories:

Armstrong, a large multi-state cable provider, selected ADTRAN Combo PON over traditional EPON to access a solution flexible enough to implement multi-gigabit services in a variety of customer and deployment scenarios across its six-state service coverage area. ADTRAN is helping Armstrong increase market share and competitiveness.

Armstrong is the 11th largest Multiple System Operator (MSO) in the U.S. and provides cable television, high-speed ZOOM internet with enhanced Wi-Fi and telephone services to residential and commercial customers in Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Armstrong has deployed PON technology with GPON to deliver speeds over 2 Gbps downstream and 1.25 Gbps upstream

Mike Giobbi, Chief Technology Officer at Armstrong, said: “We are now overlaying XGS-PON technology with the capacity of symmetrical 10 Gbps downstream and upstream on the same fiber strand into homes and businesses with GPON. Armstrong has reached the 10G platform the cable industry has committed to deploying.”

Centre WISP, an RDOF recipient in Pennsylvania, is using ADTRAN’s RDOF Technical Assistance Planning Services Portfolio and Combo PON technology to build a multigigabit fiber broadband network and offer affordable, fast internet speeds with no data caps to unserved and underserved areas.

Centre WISP won RDOF funding for its fiber build and leveraged ADTRAN’s RDOF Technical Assistance to develop high-level fiber plans that demonstrate Centre WISP’s ability to meet RDOF requirements.

David Gibbons, CEO at Centre WISP, said: “ADTRAN enabled us to increase our broadband access service speeds by a thousand.”

NLBC, an RDOF recipient in Indiana, and PTC, a service provider in Pennsylvania, are using ADTRAN’s Combo PON technology to modernize existing brownfield fiber networks and support Amish communities, rural farms, orchards, residents and businesses along the Nipponese Valley to connect to the digital economy.

NLBC is a Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF) winner situated in East Central Indiana. NLTC recently acquired PTC, which provides service in central Pennsylvania and still operates under the PTC name.

John Greene, CEO of NLTC, said: “The flexibility of ADTRAN’s TA5000 enables us to seamlessly evolve from Point-to-Point Active Ethernet to Gigabit-capable PON and beyond with XGS-PON as bandwidth demand increases.”

Both NLBC and PTC will use ADTRAN’s Combo PON technology to deliver both Gigabit-capable PON and multigigabit XGS-PON FTTH technologies over a single common optical distribution network. This allows for the transition to XGS-PON speeds of up to 10 Gbps.

With Combo PON, PTC will utilize its existing fiber backbone and immediately launch Gigabit-capable services to reach 70 percent of all customers without laying any additional fiber. The service provider plans to run new fiber cable to the remaining 30 percent of customers over the next five years.

NLBC will utilize the Combo PON technology in their RDOF area with Gig-capable service initially and upgrade to XGS-PON in future. The flexible design of ADTRAN’s 10G fiber access platform enables both NLBC and PTC to utilize the TA5000 platform in both new and existing cabinets, providing a seamless transition to fiber services.