Mobile video in Europe hit 53 percent of online video

Ooyala Q3 Video Index, Video Consumption By Device Type, Europe
Mobile video consumption in Europe hit 53 percent of all online video plays in the region, surpassing the global trend of 45 percent in Q3 2015, according to Ooyala Global Video Index.

Programmatic transactions are becoming a norm for premium publishers, increasing more than 100 percent quarter over quarter. The report said sports providers can customize strategies in order to boost video views and maximize revenue.

Great Britain and Ireland led Europe’s most populous nations in mobile viewing as smartphones and tablets made up two thirds of all online viewing. 88 percent of mobile video views were on smartphones, leaving tablets at 12 percent.

Fans play 75 percent more videos on the day prior to any given match, and more than 100 percent more on the day after when they come looking for highlights, game summaries and match replays.

Mobile video share of plays increased 50 percent in Q3.

Ireland averages more sports viewing on mobile devices at 51 percent than the rest of Europe and the U.S., both at 39 percent.

Despite mobile growth, consumers still prefer larger screens for longer content. Over the past nine months, for video over 10 minutes long, the share of time watched on connected TVs (CTV) increased from 43 percent to 71 percent.

For publishers, tablet (32 percent) and smartphone (24 percent) advertisement impressions dominated at the expense of PCs. Publisher ad impressions on PCs have declined 22 percent since the first quarter.

Tablets had the second-largest share of overall time watched at 35 percent against 40 percent in Q1. Tablets dominate share of time watched for content 10-30 minutes long.

“Leading into 2016, video — both delivery and advertising — is scaling massively across all screens,” said Jonathan Wilner, vice president of product and strategy for Ooyala.

[email protected]