US President Donald Trump agreed at a meeting with the heads of top technology companies on Monday to make timely decisions on requests by U.S. companies to sell to blacklisted Huawei Technologies, Reuters reported.
The White House said in a statement on Monday that the executives expressed strong support for national security restrictions on U.S. telecom equipment purchases and sales to Huawei.
The seven CEOs from the tech and telecom industries Sanjay Mehrotra of Micron, Stephen Milligan of Western Digital, Steven Mollenkopf of Qualcomm, Sundar Pichai of Google, Chuck Robbins of Cisco, Robert Swan of Intel and Hock Tan of Broadcom met President Donald Trump, CNBC reported.
The meeting comes at a time of uncertainty over the future of U.S. technology companies’ ties to Huawei, the world’s largest telecommunications equipment maker. It was placed on a U.S. blacklist in May, with the government citing national security concerns.
U.S. companies were banned from selling most U.S. parts and components to Huawei without special licenses. But Trump said last month that sales could resume as he sought to restart trade talks with Beijing.
On Monday, executives expressed displeasure at Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross, who also attended the meeting, for not providing clear guidelines on policy toward sales to the Chinese company.
The Washington Post reported on Monday that Huawei secretly helped North Korea build and maintain its commercial wireless network.
The White House said unfair international trade practices and 5G technology was also discussed at the event on Monday.